The American War against al-Qaeda
In your previous cumulative assignment, you examined the structure, history, and tactics of al-Qaeda.
For this assignment, you will return to al-Qaeda and examine the methods being used to prevent their attacks. Prepare a report that covers the following points:
- Name the main US agencies that are involved in the fight against al-Qaeda. Be sure to consider agencies that operate overseas as well as those that operate domestically.
- Analyze the nature of the organization’s involvement, if any, in the 2009 incident at Fort Hood and the 2011 attack at Benghazi. What evidence points toward or away from al-Qaeda?
- Name the domestic terrorism component of al-Qaeda and explain the efforts of local law enforcement to respond to it. (New York City would be a good place to start.)
- Analyze and explain the pros and cons of aggressive domestic investigation, from the standpoint of civil liberties. Are law enforcement agencies using tactics that infringe on civil liberties?
- Considering the recent death of Osama bin Laden and other efforts to fight al-Qaeda, speculate on whether this organization will be more or less of a threat to the United States in the next few years.
- Analyze and explain how other DHS agencies and their missions might relate to the fight against al-Qaeda. For example, how do the missions of US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) or US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) relate to counterterrorism?
Your report should utilize terminology and background information from the course. Much has changed in recent years, so be sure to use sources that are up-to-date. Support your responses with examples.
Submit your report in a Microsoft Word document include a cover page, reference page and 5-6 pages of content