1 – Watch:
- What are examples of Corporate Social Responsibility at Ben and Jerry’s? Give three specific examples from the video or website.
- What can other organizations learn from the practices at Ben and Jerry’s?
- Is it “good for business” to be as socially responsible as this organization is? Why or why not?
- What is meant by the statement: “as we prosper…they prosper”?
- Why might some organizations avoid this level of Corporate Social Responsibility?
- What is the value to an organization of having a Chief Entrepreneur? Be specific with examples from the video.
- Why is it important for organizations to include this position at the “C-suite”? Be specific with examples from the video.
- How is the Chief Entrepreneur different from a CEO or COO? Speak to each individually (in other words: how is Chief Entrepreneur different than a CEO and how is a Chief Entrepreneur different than a CFO).
- In your opinion, is it possible for an organization to be successfully innovative without someone in this C-level position? Why or why not? Be specific in your answer.
More coffee with less
Vietnam is the world’s leading coffee producer and the largest global supplier of Robusta coffee for Nestlé. Nestlé Vietnam’s Farmer Connect Programme currently supports over 12,000 coffee farmers, providing them technical assistance and training increasing productivity.
Groundwater, the main source of coffee irrigation during the dry months in Vietnam, is declining rapidly due to overuse, and could potentially affect coffee productivity in the long term. In order to develop sustainable water use practices, Nestlé partnered with the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), the Western Highlands Agriculture and Forestry Science Institute (WASI), International Water Management Institute (IWMI) and Embden, Drishaus and Epping Consulting (EDE) to conduct a study on the irrigation practices in coffee farming in the Dak Lak Province.
- What is the value to Nestlé of this initiative? Be specific with examples from the video.
- What is the value to the farmers in Vietnam of this initiative? Be specific with examples from the video.
- Given the scarcity of water in this region, would you recommend to Nestlé that they work with farmers in a different region of the world? Why or why not?
- In your opinion, is this initiative an example of social responsibility or fiduciary responsibility on the part of Nestlé? You are asked to pick one or the other and defend your answer thoroughly. “Both” is not an acceptable option for this question.