Write an analysis of and propose improvements to your organization’s internal and external communications as they apply to ethical behavior and social responsibility.
It is crucial for everyone to understand and respect ethical issues when it comes to organizational communication.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Analyze business communication situations.
- Analyze how external communications reflect a company’s commitment to social responsibility.
- Propose potential improvements to a company’s external communications regarding its social responsibility.
- Competency 2: Analyze the interrelationships of communication within organizational systems.
- Analyze how internal communications support ethical behavior within a company.
- Propose potential improvements to internal communications.
- Competency 3: Communicate effectively.
- Write clearly to convey the intended content and follow APA rules for attributing sources.
Organizational communication takes place within a context of making choices and judgments. The Assessment 2 Context document contains important information related to the following topics:
- Data Accuracy.
- Managing Ethical Issues.
To deepen your understanding, you are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of the business community.
- After completing the Work Values Card Sort interactive media exercise, linked in the Resources, consider whether you have value congruence in your life.
- Are you living according to what you value most?
- Is your work in congruence with your values?
- What impact does this have on your communications with others?
The following optional resources are provided to support you in completing the assessment or to provide a helpful context. For additional resources, refer to the Research Resources and Supplemental Resources in the left navigation menu of your courseroom.
Click the links provided to view the following resources:
- Assessment 2 Context.
Click the links provided below to view the following multimedia pieces:
- Work Values Card Sort.
- Understanding your personal values that you prioritize at work can help you reflect on where your level of congruence is and is not, and how this might affect your relationships and communications in the workplace.
The following e-books or articles from the Capella University Library are linked directly in this course:
- Hindle, T. (2008). Guide to management ideas and gurus. London, GBR: Profile Books/The Economist.
- This e-book addresses a broad range of management topics, including key issues addressed in this course. It is a helpful resource to reference throughout the course.
- Hill, R. P., Stephens, D., & Smith, I. (2003). Corporate social responsibility: An examination of individual firm behavior. Business and Society Review, 108(3), 339–364.
Course Library Guide
A Capella University library guide has been created specifically for your use in this course. You are encouraged to refer to the resources in the
BUS-FP3050 – Fundamentals of Organizational Communication Library Guide to help direct your research.
Access the following resources by clicking the links provided. Please note that URLs change frequently. Permissions for the following links have been either granted or deemed appropriate for educational use at the time of course publication.
- CRO Corp. (2010). Corporate responsibility magazine. Retrieved from http://www.thecro.com/
- This free online magazine and Web site cover a broad range of issues pertaining to corporate social responsibility. The site includes a Topics section that includes a Communications topic area that is particularly applicable to the focus of this course.
The resources listed below are relevant to the topics and assessments in this course and are not required. Unless noted otherwise, these materials are available for purchase from the
Capella University Bookstore. When searching the bookstore, be sure to look for the Course ID with the specific
–FP (FlexPath) course designation.
- Shockley-Zalabak, P. S. (2015). Fundamentals of organizational communication: Knowledge, sensitivity, skills, values (9th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson.
For this assessment, consider that your manager (or one you’re familiar with) was asked to review the organization’s approach to communication, including as related to ethics. The manager asked you to help by conducting an analysis of the organization’s internal and external communications, including as they apply to ethical behavior and social responsibility. Very importantly, the manager asked for proposed improvements associated with the analysis.Focus on the organization for which you work or with which you are otherwise involved. Examine this company’s communications related to ethical behavior within the company as well as its corporate social responsibility. Research and document the organization’s internal and external communications, such as mission statements, credos, et cetera, in regard to its values and ethics. Then complete the following:
- Analyze how the company’s internal communications help support ethical behavior within the company and describe the potential impact on employee behavior. Examples of ethical behavior include embracing diversity and protecting confidential corporate data and private data.
- Analyze how the company’s external communications reflect its commitment to social responsibility and describe the potential impact on public perception. Examples of social responsibility include indicators such as dedication to community service, compassion for the disadvantaged, commitment to charitable giving, and concern for the environment.
- Propose potential improvements to internal communications that would help increase ethical behavior in the company and justify those improvements based upon identified weaknesses or opportunities of current communications.
- Propose potential improvements to the external communications that would help bolster the company’s public perception as a socially responsible company and justify those improvements based upon identified weaknesses or opportunities of current communications.
Your analysis and proposed improvements should be well organized and written in clear, succinct language. Follow APA rules for attributing sources that support your analysis and conclusions.Academic Integrity and APA FormattingAs a reminder related to using APA rules to ensure academic honesty:
- When using a direct quote (using exact or nearly exact wording), you must enclose the quoted wording in quotation marks, immediately followed by an in-text citation. The source must then be listed in your references page.
- When paraphrasing (using your own words to describe a non-original idea), the paraphrased idea must be immediately followed by an in-text citation and the source must be listed in your references page.