- Analyze an Emergency Operations Plan (EOP)
- Select a state plan as the basis for the assignment in this unit. Scan the headings to locate pertinent information for the assignment. (You may choose another state plan with permission from your instructor.) Identify the state plan you are reviewing.
- Use your selected EOP and the EOP Development and Review Checklist, linked in Resources, as a guide for analyzing the EOP you choose. This checklist is a modified version of an authentic document used in the profession. Use this to take notes as you review the plan; do not submit the checklist for this assignment.
- Write an analysis of an EOP hazard-specific plan. Your audience is a state director of emergency management. An APA template is linked in Resources for your convenience; use of it is optional. Use the following headings for your report:
- Hazard-Specific Plan
- Analyze one hazard-specific plan from the selected EOP.
- Provide a brief summary of that particular hazard-specific plan.
- Analyze specific concerns, capabilities, training, procedures, agencies, and resources that will be used to mitigate against the identified hazard.
- Analyze specific concerns, capabilities, training, procedures, agencies, and resources that will be used to prepare for the identified hazard.
- Analyze specific concerns, capabilities, training, procedures, agencies, and resources that will be used to respond to the identified hazard.
- Analyze specific concerns, capabilities, training, procedures, agencies, and resources that will be used to recover from the identified hazard.
- Hazard-Specific Plan
- Write clearly and logically, with correct use of spelling, grammar, punctuation, and mechanics.
- Use spell-check and grammar-check to make sure your document is clear and correct before submitting your assignment.
- You are required to submit your paper to Turnitin. Do not submit the checklist with your notes. After reviewing your results and making any needed changes, submit your paper for grading.
- Analyze an Emergency Operations Plan (EOP) Scoring Guide.
- Writing Feedback Tool.
- Criminal Justice Undergraduate Research Guide.
- EOP Development and Review Checklist [DOC].
- APA Report Template [DOTX].
This assignment is intended to familiarize you with the primary document used for disaster response: the emergency operations plan (EOP). The EOP is a risk-based, all-hazard response plan. It identifies which authorities will manage a disaster, who will perform tasks, and what will be done before, during, and after a disaster.
Developed with input from all partners in emergency management and intended to align with local, state, and federal guidelines, the EOP is the guiding document used by emergency managers. For this assignment, you will evaluate the detail of a state EOP. Through the evaluation of an existing state EOP, you will become familiar with the elements of the plan and the response.
Note: Your instructor may also use the Writing Feedback Tool to provide feedback on your writing. In the tool, click the linked resources for helpful writing information.